Monday, November 9, 2009

Toilet Day: The Toilet's Time To Shine

National Toilet Day takes place on November 10. In honor of this momentous occasion, we at the Shop 4 Classics Old House Blog bring you some toilet fun facts to ponder on your next visit to the restroom.

Other terms for the toilet include commode, water closet, the john, the throne, the can, the loo (British), the latrine (military), the potty (juvenile), and the head (nautical).

Sir John Harrington is credited with inventing the flushing toilet and is the inspiration for the term "the john".

Despite popular belief, Sir Thomas Crapper did not invent the toilet. Furthermore, Sir Thomas Crapper was never knighted and, therefore, is not officially a Sir. While researching this piece, I tried to speak with a Crapper about their undeserved family legacy but could not find one in the local white pages. Perhaps the Crappers prefer to remain unlisted.

A recent survey by the appliance company Amana found that only 7% of consumers say they can not live without a bathroom. The other 93% are severely constipated.

I once gave a padded toilet seat to one of my best friends as a wedding gift. It was a joke inspired by how he spent much of his bachelor party. The padded toilet seat is now a family heirloom that has traveled with the family and, to my knowledge, still serves my friend today--although we do not discuss this frequently.

The average person spends 3 years of their life sitting on the toilet. Makes you wish you had a padded toilet seat.

Toilets in boats were originally placed at the front of the boat; which was called the head. Hence, the source of the term "the head".

One of the most memorable scenes in "Christmas Vacation" involves the toilet in Cousin Eddy's RV. It was...um...full. It happens. It happened on a rented houseboat on a weekend at the Lake of the Ozarks to some friends and me. The incident was blamed on "bad carrots" by literally a boatload of engineers.

National Toilet Day is November 10. World Toilet Day is November 19. Apparently, the toilet is an invention so significant that it deserves two opportunities to celebrate.

While these anecdotes are presented in fun, the flushing toilet is a serious contribution to indoor plumbing. If your toilet isn't looking so sharp, consider replacing it with one of the many two piece toilets offered by Shop 4 Classics. We offer many styles with either round or elongated bowls. For a classic bath, consider a pull chain toilet from Elizabethan Classics or a pillbox toilet from Sunrise Specialty. For more modest changes, treat your toilet to a new toilet tank lever or toilet paper holder from Sign of the Crab.

Have a wonderful National Toilet Day from your friends at Shop 4 Classics!

No comments:

Post a Comment