Monday, May 18, 2009

A Primer on Vent Covers

Upgrading dull floor grates is a great way to enhance floors in your home. Replacing floor grates is an easy process that requires minimal tools or skill. The most important thing to remember when ordering a floor grate is to measure the size of the opening that you intend to cover.

Another important thing to consider is the type of floor grate. Floor grate generically refers to the decorative cover on a vent (i.e., duct opening). There are two types of floor grates:

Registers are floor grates that are typically used on forced air ducts. They have a pre-attached damper or set of louvers to help control airflow. For example, the damper can be closed to avoid heating or cooling a room that isn't used.

Air return grilles are floor grates that are normally used on air return ducts. Grilles do not have pre-attached louvers. Louver assemblies can be used with grilles so that the grille they can be used on forced air ducts to provide airflow control.

Grilles and registers are offered in many styles, materials, and finishes. Below is a sample of the many offerings at

Cast Iron Registers by Reggio Registers:

Solid Bronze Registers by Classic Grills and Hamilton Sinkler, respectively:

Solid Brass Registers by Hamilton Sinkler and Brass Elegans, respectvely:

Wood Registers by Tailor Vents:

Antique Reproduct Baseboard Registers by Mission Metalworks:

No comments:

Post a Comment